Summer is Arriving!
Summer isn’t here quite yet, but agencies are recruiting volunteers for summer opportunities. We are getting new opportunities almost everyday! Now that it’s tolerable to be outside a lot of volunteers are needed for gardening related activities. With the end of the school year coming up quick there is a high demand for volunteers to help address summer learning loss.
Volunteering is a great way to get outside and moving after the long winter. Spring and summer can be busy, but why not try something new when you have the chance. If you have kids, volunteering can keep them occupied during the summer and who knows they might even learn something doing it.
Some of our opportunities include:
- Mustard Seed Community Farm has a few Saturday work days scheduled, more will be scheduled as growing season moves along.
- Eastwood Community Garden is looking for volunteers to help maintain their garden this summer.
- Story County Conservation has a variety of gardening and nature related volunteer opportunities.
- Volunteer Center of Story County helps coordinate school gardens which will need volunteer support during the summer.
- United Way of Story County is coordinating a summer feeding and enrichment program for kids in Ames and Nevada this summer. Volunteers will be needed to serve meals and assist with enrichment activities.
- Ames needs a lot of tutors to work one-on-one with kids all over the city this summer. We will have more information about exact locations and times as the summer gets closer.
Keep an eye out for more opportunities to come!
All volunteer opportunities can be found at vcstory.org. If you have any questions contact our office!